Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker

Title: The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker
Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Pages: 322 pages, paperback
Published: August 25th 2009 by Leisure Books


Favorite Quote: “I assure you; while I look like a ghost, I'm no spirit or demon. I'm nothing but a girl struggling to make her way in an intolerant world. I bleed, I love, and someday, I'll die.” Leanna Renee Hieber, The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker


Summary: What fortune awaited sweet, timid Percy Parker at Athens Academy? Hidden in the dark heart of Victorian London, the Romanesque school was dreadfully imposing, a veritable fortress, and little could Percy guess what lay inside. She had never met its powerful and mysterious Professor Alexi Rychman, knew nothing of the growing shadows, of the Ripper and other supernatural terrors against which his coterie stood guard. She saw simply that she was different, haunted, with her snow white hair, pearlescent skin and uncanny gift. This arched stone doorway was a portal to a new life, to an education far from what could be had at a convent- and it was an invitation to an intimate yet dangerous dance at the threshold of life and death.


So Hit or Miss

This book was so very beautiful. It is written with such care and is really very exquisite. I love the mix of Greek Mythology and the Victorian Era. Hieber plays off Hades and Persephone story very well. I am a big fan of Mythology in my books and this was so nicely done. There is alot of lovely interaction between Percy and Alexi, especially in their tutoring sessions that I loved reading.

This is defintely a Dark and Gloomy feel about this book but not in any distaste. I love how the story incorporates Jack the Ripper story and as a whole brings underlining messages and morals that you as a reader will unravel as you go along. This book defintely kept my fancy and was a very good read!

HIT

No comments:

Post a Comment