Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Love this Cover! Hit!
Title: Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker #1)
Author : Jenna Black
Pages: 294 pages, Paperback
Published: May 25th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin
Favorite Quote:
“I can see why you opted out of Knight training,” I countered. “They’d have ‘accidentally’ killed you before you made it to adulthood.” Jenna Black, Glimmerglass

Summary: It's all she's ever wanted to be, but it couldn't be further from her grasp...

Dana Hathaway doesnt know it yet, but shes in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides shes had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl, she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie.

Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she'll never have a chance with...until she does. Caught between two worlds, Dana isn't sure where she'll ever fit in and who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again

                               So Hit or Miss
This is the type of book I hate to start reading. Such a promising book and yet so in fulfilling. I literally wanted to stop reading several times. I hate not finishing a book but this one made it so hard. The beginning was too much for me. No backbone to everything that was being written. Dana runs away from her alcoholic mother to join her father in Avalon. This is a great concept but the first 6 or 7 chapters the voice of the book just bow beat me.
Halfway through the book it became bearable and even enjoyable at the end. I got a better since of the main character who transformed from whiny little brat to sensible heroine doing what’s right. The plot was interesting but I felt little attention was paid to major elements.
The concept of a faeriewalker was weak until the end. I’m hoping the sequels hold up to the endings level of goodness because if I pick up books 2 and 3 for more of the beginnings of this book I will scream.
There were a few good points. I love the friendships between ethan and dana and I love the interaction between old school father (I’m talking century’s here) and dana. Dana’s mom makes another appearance later in the book that is both interesting and leading. I have strong thoughts that the mother daughter and father interactions will be key in the next books.

Anyway this book was still overall disappointing even with the middle/ending building interest enough that I shall seek the rest of the series.


MISS!


No comments:

Post a Comment