Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

This cover is officially a HIT
Title: The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)
Author: Aimee Carter
Pages: 293, paperback
Published: April 19th 2011 by Harlequin


Favorite Quote: 
“Do you think he's cute?" 

I rolled my eyes. "He's a god, Mom. Of course he's cute.” 
― Aimee CarterThe Goddess Test

Summary:

It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

So Hit or Miss
I'd been eyeing this book for weeks before I finally could buy it! The cover, which looked so enthralling online looked even better in person. I'd thought, "Yeah, this will be a good book to read as any." I expected just a nice read that I could finish in a week or so and then off to the next book." I categorized in my head a nice book to pass sometime since I had nothing else to read.
BOY was I ever So completely WRONG about a


BOOK!
Firstly, I finished the book in one day. In the time since I bought it back in November, I have read it 3 times. Although I always re-read my favorite books I never do so in such a relatively small passage of time. 
I was captivated by Kate. Her character was so dynamic and her relationship with Henry, OMG! I loved that it was a steady build on love and not, "where the heck did that come from." love that you sometimes find in YA novels. I clearly saw the switch from Kate's, "I want to save my mother" to "I won't let you die if I can help it." followed by a "Fight Henry, as I fight for you my friend." to "I'll win to give us a chance Henry." (Mind you these are not direct quotes but I think there a pretty good capture of the flow of feelings.)
I also love the Mythological aspect involved in this book. I have read the story of Hades and Persephone a million different ways and yet I have never read a more intriguing rendition. Though it is not a sole focus on Mythical events, The characters embody I feel the essence of the stories I grew up on.
The interaction between all the characters created catchy dialogue, loving characters and a feeling of being lost in this amazing world. I loved the feelings this book invoked. I was embarrassed and flustered. I was happy and curious and I fell in love right along side Kate. 
All of these things make for a GREAT book..... and that is why this book is officially



                        HIT


                                                      
                                                                          Thumbs up to This Novel it is defintely a HIT
 

Lots of Love to Aimee Carter

Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. She started writing fan fiction at eleven, began her first original story four years later, and hasn’t stopped writing since. Her first novel for young adults, The Goddess Test, will be published by Harlequin Teen in May 2011. The sequel, Goddess Interrupted, will follow in February 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment