Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Author : Marissa Meyer
Pages: 390 pages, Hardcover
Published:  Published January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Favorite Quote: “You have no idea how to dance, do you?”  Cinder fixed her gaze on him, mind still reeling. “I’m a mechanic.”       ~ Marissa Meyer, Cinder
Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

                                   So Hit or Miss
Sigh… There is so much and so little to be said about this book. I give it an A for almost everything. Creativity? A.
 Plot? A.
Imagination? A.
Voice? A.
Hot drool worthy Prince? A++.
Originality in Re-telling a classic? Yes again an A.

But then there are the F’s.  I was disappointed with this book in a lot ways. There were so many opportunities for this book that I feel were not used to great effects. New Beijing. This was a chance to show us how futuristic this book was. Other than being named New Beijing I had no idea what the difference was. No culture was really established. No hint of whether the people maintained any of their past culture. I was hoping to see a hint of something, a festival or a clear description of differences. For all I know New Beijing was like New York on New Years Eve.
The same thing happened with many concepts, all just seeming un utilized. From the Lunar Kingdom, to Cyborgs, to the Royal Class Systems, to the Plague. Many things just gave me questions. Questions that if had been answered would have given more substance to this novel.
I also had a problem with some predictable elements in this story. Without ruining it for you viewers, I just have to say that the second I read one sentence I knew the ending of the book and this was in like, chapter 5! When I turned out to be right I was completely frustrated. I absolutely hate obvious endings.
Speaking of endings, even though this is a series and not a standalone, I still wished for a better resolution to the end of this story. It seemed to me that this ending just really fell short. The action all lead up to a cliff hanger that really didn’t encourage me to read the next installment. I was kind of like, “What! It's over?!? I can’t believe THAT is the end! But it didn't say anything!”

All in all this just doesn’t measure up. A good read but well it’s going to be a…..

Miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment