Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Title: Embrace ( The Violet Eden Chapters #1)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Pages: 367, Hardcover
Pub Date: March 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire


Favorite Quote: 


“Did you ever think we would be anything other than unbelievable?” 
― Jessica ShirvingtonEmbrace 


Summary:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…” 

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. 

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her. 

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden… 


SO HIT OR MISS 

I definitely picked up this book because of it's cover.  Yes, I know you should never judge a book by it's cover but can anyone really blame me. As it stands, this book is as awesome as it's cover! This is the first Angel story I have read and enjoyed in along time. A new look on who Angels are and what Angels do. 
Ms. Shirvington has made this my favorite Angel plot EVER! I mean hot ANGELS!! Yes please.

Though the beginning is slow, it is also intriguing. Right away I wanted to know more about Violet and her hot friend Lincoln. The strange happenings around Violet and the love interest in Lincoln really kept me interested in the beginning. The action comes at the perfect point, right when you want it.

When Violet finds out she is a half angel. Her world suddenly becomes very complicated. At this point I could not stop reading. Violet's emotions were so well written that I didn't want to put the book down. She is hurt, especially after finding out that Lincoln has been lying to her. Her life is changing around her and she doesn't know what to do.

The love triangle is one of my favorite aspects of this novel. As a college student, I see love triangles in various forms everyday, it feels like. This love triangle felt so real. It is an intense and authentic love triangle that I rarely see in YA books. Not only does it help the plot it also helps the characters to develop.  There is no cheesy or over written love mess here people!

My favorite character in this book is Phoenix. I absolutely whole hardly love him. He is officially my book boyfriend. (As such all future boyfriends have a lot to stand up to! ) Phoenix is introduce in a way that immediately sparks interest. As we see more and more of him, we just have to love him. He is technically a bad (more neutral) guy, and his interest in Violet comes into question several times. But gosh, I can't just not love his character. 

The Phoenix/Violet/Lincoln love triangle is one that will keep me reading this series!
HIT



No comments:

Post a Comment