Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons



Title: Article 5


Pages: 364 pages, Hardcover

Published: Jan. 31st 2012

Favorite Quote:

“He put a hand on his throat, as though trying to stop the words, but they came anyway. 

"You're home. To me.” 
― Kristen SimmonsArticle 5

Summary: New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned. 

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes. 

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back. 

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different. 

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. 

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

So Hit or Miss

I wanted to know what Article 5 was. That was the reason I picked this book up in B&N. I didn't care much about what the rest of the story would turn out to be at all. I just wanted know what Article 5 was. Plain and Simple. But then I did something. I read the first chapter.

....

...

..

.

Too late, I was hooked! I loved every word in Article 5. I was immediately thrown into the mist of the story. Once I found out about the Article 5 violations I couldn't just stop reading. I was to involved in the adventure that was starting. I was too distraught because of the injustice of this new world. 

I was angry, fearful, sad, every emotion you could think of. I could see the adrenaline just pouring into these pages as Ember embarked further into her adventure.

I completely swooned over Chase. He is the type of character I can appreciate. Dynamic, strong, engaging and hot! His interactions with Ember are both sweet and heart wrenching on occasion. I mean what would you do if the only thing you had left was locked away? Go get her of course. He's trying so hard to protect in the only way he can, but of course he's a guy and well he should have spent a little more time explaining instead of doing.

Ember is at sometimes singularly focused though with good reason. Her character really grows by the end of the novel. I feel for her. She has to deal with so much and she just wants her mom and her old chase. It takes her awhile to realize everything isn't going to be the same. I loved how determined she was. She has all the good qualities of a heroine. She related to me alot. Especially if I had been in that same situation. 

Overall.... Wow! I loved the concept of this dystopian novel. This is honestly a book I would re-read, which rarely happens


No comments:

Post a Comment