Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review: Wither (Chemical Garden #1)

Title: Wither (Chemical Garden #1)
Author: 







When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can't bring herself to hate him as much as she'd like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband's strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?
Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?

                        SO HIT OR MISS

I'll start with some good points and say that yes, this is a well written book. It has an interesting plot and interesting characters. I can honestly say that this a good read, but I wanted more. I like my books to seem plausible. It makes the experience of reading, (and yes each book I read is it's own experience) more exciting and authentic. This novel had too many holes in it for me to really take it to heart.

I like details, and I like details that match up and make sense. Plausibility. Although I enjoyed reading this novel to the end I questioned my way through each chapter. One of the biggest peeves I had with this book is the lack of actual Antagonist. It is implied. Everything is alluded to, but an antagonist is never shown and that wasn't okay to me. The book just doesn't make sense to me. It's a world of over complications that just aren't needed in this, or any novel.

Every boy dies at 25 and every girl passes on at the ripe age of 20. This of course leads the society to began kidnapping their "precious" females and selling them to the highest bidder. It's basically a kidnapping love triangle on crack with a dash of polygamy. This is a world where only North America exist because when the polar ice caps melted they flooded the world.... Here I wonder how North America survied a flooding of that proportion.

I honestly don't understand why this disease that kills people off so early, which is resulted from their "cure" to cancer, is so unrealistic. It just isn't feasible. At least not to me. I'm pretty sure bio geeks around the world would dispute this to epic proportions.

And again it wasn't a bad read. It just wasn't a great read or a plausible one. If you look past all of the jumble of mess, it's a decent read. So I would recommend it to anyone who isn't detail orientated.


MISS




No comments:

Post a Comment