Thursday, May 17, 2012

REVIEW: The Selection

Title: The Selection


Author: Kiera Cass


Pages:  327 pages, Hardcover


Published: April 24th 2012


Favorite Quote:

“. . .true love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”
Kiera Cass, The Selection


Summary:


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

                         SO HIT OR MISS

When I first picked up this book, I admit I thought it would be just an okay book. But boy was I wrong!

First off this book reminded me so much of my favorite story as a child, The Princess and the pea. This had some really fond elements that made me think back to that story. If your a fan of reality t.v. shows, dating games, or dystopian novels, you will definitely love this novel. It takes all the best elements from these topics and makes for an easy fun read. I really think this book will be enjoyable to many different people.

Although this is in the voice of America, you get a lot of strong male prospective from Prince Maxon. (I love that.)

The writing had a clear voice. I knew, with each word I read, where exactly each character stood, and I definitely appreciated that. There was no guessing around about any ones feelings. In that way I quickly came to fall in love with the characters.

America was an interesting character. I loved her straight forwardness and her general outlook. Her honesty with Prince Maxon is really what develops there character relationship so quickly, I think. Speaking of Prince Maxon, yeah I am totally a fan. I loved his character so much!!!!

But this brings me to another point. LOVE TRIANGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the beginning of the story I was totally okay with the love triangle aspects. Without it there would have been something lacking. But after the initial resolving of it, WHY IN THE WORLD DID IT COME BACK!! -__-

I was reading the final chapters of The Selection pulling on my hair, basically on pins and needles. With Aspen back in the picture everything could come tumbling down! But at the end all I could think about was reading the next installment and finding out what happens. I just was left with a sense of NEEDING to continue the story. 

Ms. Cass sure got my attention!

HIT


No comments:

Post a Comment